This morning, Tuesday, September 28, 2021, Mayor Simmons and Greenville Police Department Chief Marcus Turner hosted and thanked our religious and faith-based leaders for their solutions and suggestions and a “faith-based” plan of action to curb crime and violence in our community. Solutions and suggestions included the following:
- 1. Unity in the community approach with collective action with community’s eyes, ears, and helping hands to stop violence. With more churches in the community than officers, our faith-based plan of action is needed and timely given the loss of officers and uptick in criminal activity.
- Prayer and Outreach to Save Lost Souls and those needing Spiritual Guidance.
- Street Patrols and Neighborhood Watches.
- Reactivate “Special Enforcement Teams”.
- SOS “Save Ourselves”.
- Research and Implement Best Practices from Other Communities.
While a “faith-based” approach can most definitely be helpful, I sure hope there is more to the mayor’s plan to end the senseless violence and killing that is wiping out a generation of our young men.
Contact Jay Allen at [email protected]